Rental Property Guides
Previous Rental Property Guides
Capital Gains Guides
Use this guide if you are a personal investor who has made a capital gain or capital loss from shares, units or managed funds in 2018–19.
This guide will not apply to an investor who is a foreign resident of Australia or if you are carrying on a business of share trading.
This guide explains the capital gains tax (CGT) consequences of:
- the sale or gift (or other disposal) of shares or units
- the receipt of distributions of capital gains from managed funds
- the receipt of non-assessable payments from companies or managed funds.
This guide helps people who hold shares or bonds as an investment to understand their tax obligations. It covers:
- how dividends received by Australian resident and non-resident individuals are taxed, and
- the type of expenses you may be able to claim against dividend income.
If you acquired shares after 19 September 1985, capital gains tax (CGT) may apply when you dispose of them.
Do You Hire Contractors?
- Ability to subcontract/delegate: can the worker pay someone else to do the work?
- Basis of payment: is the worker paid based on an agreed quote they provided?
- Equipment, tools and other assets: does the worker provide their own tools and equipment needed to do the job?
- Commercial risks: is the worker legally responsible for their work and liable for fixing mistakes or defects?
- Control over the work: does the worker decide how to do the work, subject to specific terms in the contract or agreement?
- Independence: does the worker operate their own business independently of your client’s business?
Clients Are Saying...
At Alltax WA, Annaliese personally looks after all your tax and accounting work from start to finish, year after year. We do not hand over to juniors or send your work overseas to be processed.
It would be my pleasure to assist you with all your tax and accounting needs, please contact me to book an appointment.
Book an Appointment
Book an Appointment
Registered Tax Agent
Annaliese is a registered agent for ASIC, a certified advisor for Xero, registered on the Tax Practitioners Board and a registered agent for Intuit Quickbooks.